Genuine Tea is an excellent tea company from Toronto. Owners Dave and Sarah travelled to Taiwan, lived and breathed teas for four years before returning to Toronto to start their own company. Dave and Sarah have their booth set up in different farmers’ markets throughout the year so check them out. You can always buy their great teas from their website too.
For Part 2 of my Cooking with Tea series, I will be featuring a very delicious black tea called Lapsang Souchong. It has a very smoky flavour and creates an intense flavour like you have been cooking for hours. These tea leaves have been smoked over a pinewood fire. Some believe Lapsang Souchong was the first black tea known.
I made a very simple salmon dish with the Lapsang Souchong but this recipe would be great for other fish and even other proteins like chicken or as a rub on your next burger patty.
– 2 Tablespoon Lapsang souchong Tea from Genuine Tea
– pinch of salt
– 2 tablespoon butter (split into two)
– 2 pieces of Salmon filet
1) Heat pan to medium heat
2) While your pan is heating up, put 2 tablespoon of lapsang souchong tea into a mortar and pestle with the salt and grind. (if you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you can use a coffee grinder or just the back of a spoon in a bowl – my method) Grind the tea and salt into a fine powder
3) Rub tea and salt powder onto both side of fish generously
4) Put 1 table spoon of butter into heated pan and melt
5) Put salmon (skin side down if you are using a piece of salmon with skin) in hot pan and cook for 2-3 min.
6) Flip and cook salmon on the other side for another 2- 3 min (cook time will vary depending on how thick your piece of fish is).
7) Once both side of the fish are seared, but the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into pan and start basting the fish by spooning over the melted butter on fish
8) Keep repeating step 7 and flip the fish as you go. Cook for another 3-5 min (Again, cook time will depend on your thickness of fish.)
9) Remove salmon from pan and let sit on a paper towel for a minute.
10) Serve salmon with your favourite sides and enjoy!
Thank you Dave and Sarah from Genuine Tea for the great teas! I am drinking some Jasmine Dragon Pearl as I type!