Making meatballs are one of the wonders of life in my opinion. They are so versatile, delicious and with this recipe, you are going to make the tastiest and juicest meatballs ever. Trust me, bring these meatballs to your next pot luck and you will make lots of new friends.
I love meatballs since you can change up everything from the protein to the spices in it to make it unique. One of my favourite ways is to incorporate Asian flavours into my meatball. I add soy sauce, sesame oil, some hoisin sauce and top it with some sesame seeds. And really you can make it with any ground protein: beef, chicken, pork, and even chickpeas if you are vegetarian.
The basic meatball recipe usually calls for beef, seasonings, bread crumbs and eggs and you combine it all together, shape them into 1 inch meatballs and away you go. But the hack I have will elevate your meatball game, trust me!!
So without further ado, here we go…
- 1 cup milk (I used skim because that’s what I had on hand but any percentage is fine)
- 1 cup panko bread crumb (again, I like panko and usually have it around my house but regular bread crumbs works perfectly well. You can even toast a piece of bread and use a food processor to ground it into a powder)
- 1 lb ground beef (I like to use ground sirloin, but you can use whatever you like or have)
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
- pinch of paprika, garlic powder, and whatever spices you like (make it your own)
- In a stand mixer (yes friends, this is the part that will elevate your meatball game!) add milk and panko. Use the paddle attachment and mix it until the bread crumbs rehydrate into a paste (depending on what kind of bread crumbs you are using, you may need to add more milk or bread crumbs to get the paste like texture)
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the stand mixer and mix it on low for 1 minute to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Turn the mixer on high and really get the beef to mix vigorously. You want the protein in the mix to breakdown and create a super smooth mixture.
- Once the mixture is fully combined and the beef looks well incorporated, roll out your meatballs into whatever size you desire
- Cook both sides for 1 minute each or until it turns slightly brown in a cast iron skillet (if you don’t have a cast iron skillet, just use an oven safe pan)
- Put pan into an oven preheated to 350F and cook for anther 5 minutes (if you are going to serve your meatballs with a tomato sauce, you can add it into the pan and cook it together)
When you use the stand mixer to mix the ground beef, it is sort of like using a tenderizer to tenderize your steaks, chicken or pork chops before cooking it. When you manipulate your protein this way, it creates a beautiful smooth and soft texture that just melts in your mouth. These meatballs are perfect cooked in a skillet or a cookie sheet and since you created the beautiful texture, it will not fall apart while you are cooking it.
Now go try it out! I am confident you will thank me for this amazingly easy recipe that will truly change the way you make and eat meatballs!
Comment below and let me know what are your favourite cooking hacks!