Most people are intimidated or scared to try baking bread at home. But in fact, bread recipes are generally pretty easy! My advice is to trust your instinct and be patient when baking bread at home!
Recently I did my usual Click and Collect order at Superstore (check out my blog post about it here) since life have been busy. Instead of my burger bun purchase, I got a bunch of chips instead. Usually they don’t make mistakes and they graciously apologize and let me keep the chips – I can’t complain, I love chips! 😛 But burgers were on the menu for dinner this week and I didn’t want to trek back to the grocery store just to get burger buns! So what did I do? I baked them myself! And boy was I glad I did! Homemade bread is so much better and this recipe makes the fluffiest burger buns you have ever tasted and you will honestly never buy burger buns again.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups flour (you may need more or less of this amount depending on the humidity of your kitchen)
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup warm water (you may also need more or less of this amount depending on the humidity of your kitchen)
- Combine all ingredients above and mix in stand mixture until a dough ball forms
- This is the part where your instinct kicks in, you may need to add more or less water and flour at this point to get the perfect dough consistency
- Cover dough ball and let rise for 1 hour
- Divide into 8 small balls and put on baking try. Cover and let rise again for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- You can use an egg wash to brush on top of the buns and add sesame seeds if you like the classic burger bun look (optional)
- Bake buns for 15 minutes or until the top and bottom turn golden brown
And there you have it! The simple but delicious homemade burger bun recipe! You can make a big batch, bake it off and freeze them so you always have some homemade burger buns at home.
Are you a baker? What is your favourite thing to bake? Comment below!