Once you try this recipe, you will never buy store bought granola again! I started marking my own granola because I always find the store bought version way too sweet. I also really like the clumpy granola and the store bought ones just didn’t cut it!
If you have tried my other recipes, you know I love variations on ingredients in my recipe. This recipe is no different. You can honestly put whatever nuts or dried fruits you like. And most of the ingredients you probably have in your pantry already. Especially if you have a little bit of everything lying around, it is great to just dump it all in to make the ultimate granola.
- 2 cups oats
- 2 egg whites (whip it up so its frothy)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup rice syrup (or honey, agave – whatever you like!)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup crushed walnuts (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 300F
- Mix all ingredients together until well incorporated
- Pour onto baking sheet and distribute on pan evenly (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir/flip granola around the pan
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Run a spatula under the cooled granola and store in airtight container
Are you wondering why I added egg whites to my granola recipe? The egg whites help binds all the ingredients together which makes those delicious large clumps of granola. If you don’t care for those delicious morsels of granola clumps, you can omit the egg whites from your recipe.
And that’s it! You have delicious and healthy homemade granola. You can use it to top up your morning yogurt, on ice cream, with milk or just to snack on during the day.
What is your favourite ingredients to put in your granola? Comment below!