Want to learn how to make super crispy sweet potato fries? Have you tried both baking and frying sweet potato fries and nothing really seem to get them crispy like in the restaurant? I know the feeling, you love sweet potato fries but making them crispy is a challenge. There’s quite a bit of water in sweet potatoes so likely they will burn before they turn crispy if you cook them in the oven. So what is the solution, the secret that the restaurants are not sharing with us? Today, I have a solution for you that is so easy and will change how you cook and eat sweet potato fries from now on! Get ready for another life changing hack!
The secret ingredient: Corn Starch
That’s right friends, this one simple ingredient will change EVERYTHING!
You can cook them in oil or on a baking sheet in the oven to create the same crispy fries. Here is the recipe!
- 1 Sweet potato peeled
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- salt and pepper
- pinch of paprika
- vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat cooking oil to 375 F
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into strips (you can also cut them into wedges if you like)
- Toss potatoes with corn starch, salt and pepper, and paprika until even coated
- Fry in oil about 2 minutes on each side (or until the colour changed to a golden brown. Depending on how thick the sweet potatoes were cut, it might take a few minutes longer) – For extra crispy fries (the way I like it) you can do the double fry method which is pretty much just frying them for double the time!
- Scoop the cooked sweet potato fries out of the hot oil and drain on some paper towels
- Eat and Enjoy!
If you are cooking them in the oven instead, you do all the same steps and instead of frying them, you pop them into an oven at 375 F for 10 minutes. Again, depending on how thick your fries are, you may need to keep them in longer so they are cooked through (or shorter if you cut the fries thinner). Use your judgement and check on them after 5 minutes to see how they are cooking!
Do you like regular fries or sweet potato fries better? What is your favourite side item? Comment below!