I don’t eat donuts often but when I do, I really want a good quality one so I try to make them myself whenever possible so I know how much sugar goes in and what kind of ingredients are in it! I find when I eat too much sugar all at once, I feel like crap!
If I had to pick a favourite donut, I would have to pick the honey cruller! The soft pillowy texture matched with good quality honey just hits the spot! The honey cruller donut is actually very popular in Canada and you can find it in most donut shops in Canada! But you can find it world wide! The dough for a honey cruller is much denser than a regular donut dough. It is actually quite like the churro dough! And let’s be honest, anything that resembles a churro is a good thing! (As Martha Steward likes to say)
My recipe is super easy and quite frankly, much better than the store bought honey cruller donut! It pairs so well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream too! Trust me you are going to have a winner in your hands!
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- enough oil for frying
- 1/2 cup powder sugar sfited
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 3 tablespoons best raw honey
- In a sauce pan on high, melt butter, water, and salt together until it comes up to a boil
- Turn down heat to low and whisk in the all purpose flour until the dough ball is combined
- Let dough cool down for a few minutes and add eggs into the mixture, whisk to combine (make sure the dough is cooled down so you don’t get scrambled eggs!)
- Heat up oil in a pot until it reaches 375 F
- Put batter into pipping bag and once oil is hot, pipe dough into round donut shapes into the oil
- Cook on each side for about 2 minutes and drain on a cooling rack with a sheet pan below
- While you wait for the donuts to cool, combine the icing sugar, milk and raw honey together to make a glaze
- Once the donuts are cooled, dip one side of the donut into the glaze and let dry on the cooling rack. (If you like more glaze on your donuts, you can glaze both sides)
That’s it, you just created your very own (and better) version of the store bought honey cruller donuts! Comment below and tell me what is your favourite donut? Have your tried creating it yourself? Would love to hear all about it!